80% Low Maintenance Grasses for Acidic Soils
20% Flora Blend
Common Catsear – Yellow – Height 15-80cm
Cowslip – Yellow – Height 25cm
Autumn Hawkbit – Yellow – Height 15-50cm
Yarrow – White – Height 30-100cm
Wood Sage – Green/Yellow – Height 40cm
Tufted Vetch – Purple – Height up to 200cm
Birdsfoot Trefoil – Yellow – Height 10-40cm
Ragged Robin – Pink – Height 75-100cm
Ribwort Plantain – Brown & White – Height 10-50cm
Betony – Purple – Height 60cm
Wild Foxglove – Purple – Height 30-120cm
Common Sorrel – Red – Height 30-80cm
Yellow Rattle – Yellow – Height 30cm
Sheeps Sorrel – Red – Height 25cm
Common Knapweed – Purple – Height 50cm
Ladys Bedstraw – Yellow – Height 30cm
Meadow Buttercup – Yellow – Height 30-90cm
Grasses – Common Bent, Crested Dogstail, Sheeps Fescue, Slender Creeping Red Fescue, Strong Creeping Red Fescue, Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass.
Key features of our Acidic Soils Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses for acidic soils
- 20% Flora blend
How to sow our Acidic Soils Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present, then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your Acidic Soils Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Acidic Soils Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.