80% Low Maintenance Grasses for Chalk Soils
20% Flora Blend
Cornflower – Blue – Height 90cm
Black Medick – Yellow – Height 10-60cm
Wild Carrot – White – Height 90cm
Cowslip – Yellow – Height 25cm
Meadowsweet – White – Height 50-100cm
Heath Bedstraw – White – Height 20cm
Wood Avens – Yellow – Height 25-50cm
Musk Mallow – Pink – Height 40-70cm
Rough Hawkbit – Yellow – Height 10-40cm
Wild Marjoram – Pink – Height 75-100cm
Self Heal – Purple – Height 20-30cm
Bulbous Buttercup – Yellow – Height 20-60cm
Pepper Saxifrage – Yellow – Height 50-75cm
Great Mullein – Yellow – Height 175-200cm
Forget Me Not – Blue – Height 30cm
Wild Mignonette – Yellow – Height 30-60cm
Ladys Bedstraw – Yellow – Height 30cm
Field Scabious – Pink/Purple – Height 75-100cm
Sainfoin – Pink – Height 25-50cm
Yellow Rattle – Yellow – Height 15-50cm
White Campion – White – Height 30-60cm
Devils Bit Scabious – Purple/Blue – Height 30-60cm
Grasses – Crested Dogstail, Slender Red Fescue, Bent Grass, Sheeps Fescue, Sweet Vernal and Yellow Oatgrass.
Key features of our Calcareous Soils Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses for acidic soils
- 20% Flora blend
How to sow our Calcareous Soils Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your Calcareous Soils Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Calcareous Soils Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.