80% Low Maintenance Grasses
20% Flora Blend
Wild Angelica – White – Height 250cm
Borage – Blue – Height 15-70cm
Nettle – Green – Height 60-150cm
Sage – Pale Blue – Height 75cm
Fennel – Yellow – Height 150-250cm
Caraway – White – Height 60cm
Grasses – Crested Dogstail, Slender Red Fescue, Bent Grass, Sheeps Fescue, Sweet Vernal and Yellow Oatgrass
Key features of our Herbal Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses
- 20% Flora blend
How to sow our Herbal Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your General Purpose Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our General Purpose Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.