A mix of 20 native wildflower species and 6 species of grass. The species in this mix are typical of well drained sites and are tolerant of drought conditions, meaning it is also excellent for the dry environment of a green roof.
Sowing Rate: 5gms/sq metre, 20kg/acre
80% Low Maintenance Grasses
20% Flora Blend
Forget Me Not – Blue – Height 30cm
Yellow Rattle – Yellow – Height 30cm
Catsear – Yellow – Height 15-80cm
Perennial Daisy – Yellow & White – Height 25cm
Cornflower – Blue – Height 90cm
Sheeps Sorrell – Red – Height 25cm
Kidney Vetch – Yellow – Height 10-40cm
Dropwort – White/Cream – Height 25-50cm
Ladys Bedstraw – Yellow – Height 30cm
Meadow Buttercup – Yellow – Height 30-90cm
Oxeye Daisy – Yellow & White – Height 60cm
Yarrow – White – Height 30-100cm
Field Scabious – Pink/Purple – Height 75-100cm
Sainfoin – Pink – Height 25-50cm
Salad Burnet – Red – Height 30-40cm
Wild Carrot – White – Height 90cm
White Campion – White – Height 30-60cm
Musk Mallow – Pink – Height 40-70cm
Ribwort Plantain – Brown & White – Height 10-50cm
Vipers Bugloss – Blue – Height 80cm
Grasses – Sweet Vernal, Slender Red Fescue, Sheeps Fescue, Crested Dogstail, Bent Grass, Meadow Grass
Key features of our Dry Soils Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses
- 20% Flora blend
How to sow our Dry Soils Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your Dry Soils Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Dry Soils Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.