80% Low Maintenance Grasses for Wet Soils
20% Flora Blend
Marsh Marigold – Yellow – Height 10cm
Meadowsweet – White – Height 10-50cm
Betony – Purple – Height 60cm
Birdsfoot Trefoil – Yellow -10-40cm
Gypsywort – White -Height 100cm
Purple Loosestrife – Purple – Height 100-150cm
Primrose – Yellow – Height 10cm
Common Fleabane – Yellow – Height 25-50cm
Ragged Robin – Pink – Height 75-100cm
Common Mouse’s Ear – White – Height 5-35cm
Knapweed – Purple – Height 50cm
Pendulous Sedge – Yellow/Brown – Height 75-175cm
Ribwort Plantain – Brown & White – Height 10-50cm
Wild Carrot – White – Height 90cm
Yarrow – White – Height 30-100cm
Oxeye Daisy – White – Height 60cm
Self Heal – Purple – Height 20cm
Meadow Buttercup – Yellow – Height 30-90cm.
Grasses – Crested Dogstail, Sweet Vernal, Chewings Fescue, Slender Red Fescue, Meadow Foxtail, Tufted Hairgrass and Yellow Oatgrass.
Key features of our Wetland Pond Edge Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses for wet soils
- 20% Flora blend
How to sow our Wetland Pond Edge Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your Wetland Pond Edge Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Wetland Pond Edge Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.