80% Low Maintenance Grasses for Shady Areas
20% Flora Blend
Devils Bit Scabious – Purple/Blue – Height 30-60cm
Garlic Mustard – White – Height 30-100cm
Goats Beard – Cream – Height 150-250cm
Herb Robert – Pink – Height 15-40cm
Greater Stitchwort – White – Height 60cm
Yarrow – White – Height 30-100cm
Agrimony – Yellow – Height 30-100cm
Meadow Sweet – White – Height 50-100cm
Oxeye Daisy – White – Height 60cm
Cowslip – Yellow – Height 25cm
Birdsfoot Trefoil – Yellow – Height 10-40cm
Self Heal – Purple – Height 20-30cm
Meadow Vetchling – Yellow – Height 25-100cm
Field Scabious – Pink/Purple – Height 75-100cm
Cow Parsley – White – Height 60-170cm
Black Knapweed – Purple – Height 100cm
Musk Mallow – Pink – Height 40-70cm
Red Campion – Pink/Red – Height 30cm
Hedge Bedstraw – White – Height 25cm
Ribwort Plantain – Brown & White – Height 10-50cm
White Campion – White – Height 30-60cm
Meadow Buttercup – Yellow – Height 30-90cm
Grasses – Wavy Hairgrass, Common Bent, Strong Creeping Red Fescue, Sheeps Fescue, Yellow Oatgrass, Slender Creeping Red Fescue.
Key features of our Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses for shady areas
20% Flora blend
How to sow our Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present, then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.