80% Low Maintenance Grasses for Shady Areas
20% Flora Blend
Devils Bit Scabious – Purple/Blue – Height 30-60cm
Garlic Mustard – White – Height 30-100cm
Goats Beard – Cream – Height 150-250cm
Herb Robert – Pink – Height 15-40cm
Greater Stitchwort – White – Height 60cm
Yarrow – White – Height 30-100cm
Agrimony – Yellow – Height 30-100cm
Meadow Sweet – White – Height 50-100cm
Oxeye Daisy – White – Height 60cm
Cowslip – Yellow – Height 25cm
Birdsfoot Trefoil – Yellow – Height 10-40cm
Self Heal – Purple – Height 20-30cm
Meadow Vetchling – Yellow – Height 25-100cm
Field Scabious – Pink/Purple – Height 75-100cm
Cow Parsley – White – Height 60-170cm
Black Knapweed – Purple – Height 100cm
Musk Mallow – Pink – Height 40-70cm
Red Campion – Pink/Red – Height 30cm
Hedge Bedstraw – White – Height 25cm
Ribwort Plantain – Brown & White – Height 10-50cm
White Campion – White – Height 30-60cm
Meadow Buttercup – Yellow – Height 30-90cm
Grasses – Wavy Hairgrass, Common Bent, Strong Creeping Red Fescue, Sheeps Fescue, Yellow Oatgrass, Slender Creeping Red Fescue.
Key features of our Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix
- 80% Low maintenance grasses for shady areas
20% Flora blend
How to sow our Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present, then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix is best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.
For help and advice on preparing your ground please visit our help and advice section. Further advice can be found at the RHS. Thank you.
There are no reviews yet.