How to prepare and sow for a Wildflower Meadow
- Small areas – Remove any weeds by hand or by using a black plastic membrane for at least 3 months prior to sowing.
- Larger areas – If large numbers of perennial weeds, such as dandelions, nettles and docks are present then a non-chemical control method may not work. If this is the case then spray off existing vegetation (unless it is already species-rich) using non-residual systemic glyphosate-containing weedkiller.
- Dig and turn the soil and compact and rake as you would for seeding a new lawn.
- It is advised not to use a fertiliser as this could over encourage grasses that over power the wildflowers.
- Wait 4 to 6 weeks for the ground to settle and for any weeds to show. Remove these before sowing.
- Now you are ready to sow your wildflower mix. As a guide seeds should be sown at 5g per square metre. You may need to mix the seed with silver sand to make distribution easier.
- Ensure you rake in lightly and soak to ground thoroughly with water then leave to grow.
- Use some netting if pests such as birds become a problem.
Our Wildflower Meadow Mixes are best sown from March and April or in September, depending on soil conditions. Lighter soils can be sown in Autumn.
Acidic Soils Wildflower Mix£45.00 Per KG Add to basket
Calcareous Soils Wildflower Mix£45.60 Per KG Add to basket
Cornfield Annuals Wildflower Mix£45.60 Per KG Add to basket
Dry Soils Wildflower Mix£45.60 Per KG Add to basket
General Purpose Wildflower Mix£45.60 Per KG Add to basket
Hedgerow Shade Wildflower Mix£45.00 Per KG Add to basket
Neutral Damp Soils Wildflower Mix£45.60 Per KG Add to basket
Wetland Pond Edge Wildflower Mix£46.80 Per KG Add to basket
Wild Meadow Wildflower Mix£45.48 Per KG Add to basket
Wildflower Seeds£5.28 – £132.00 Select options